Chapel East, The Quay Hill Development
COMING SOON - Chapel East is a 1422 sqft three-bedroom semi-detached conversion of half the Chapel, situated on the higher level of the site above the Quay Hill properties. The property is laid out over three floors. On the ground floor there is an entrance lobby, shower room, and high ceilinged open-plan kitchen/dining/living room with French windows opening onto a terrace. An adjacent vaulted room can be a dining/family room, en-suite bedroom or a study/work room. On the first floor there are two bedrooms, one en-suite, and a family bathroom. On the top floor is an impressive private roof terrace with panoramic views over the Quay and River Exe. Outside in front, is a courtyard garden.
Francis Louis are excited to offer For Sale four fantastic freehold properties forming the Quay Hill development situated within Exeter's beautiful historic City Centre and Quayside. The site abuts the Roman and Medieval City Wall adjacent to where the Water Gate (built c.1560 and demolished mid-1800's) used to stand behind the Customs House on the Quay. Two houses are new-build and two are conversions. All are energy efficient, adaptable, low maintenance homes that focus on delivering comfort within a healthy internal environment.
Layered into the hillside where several routes between the City and the Quay converge, the development will be a notable feature in the urban landscape that frames the main entrance to the Quay. All houses will enjoy panoramic views over the Quay and River Exe.
About the site
The site is located on the hillside, known as Quay Hill, just behind the Customs House. The Roman and Medieval City Wall, which forms the southern boundary of the development, has stood there for almost 2000 years, and what makes the site so special is the marriage between its historic setting and the modern design of the two new-build houses and two conversions. Its City Centre and Quayside location with easily accessible parking and transport links, offers a wealth of lifestyle opportunities for shopping, dining, cultural, leisure and sports activities only minutes away.
The elevated position of the development affords each house fantastic panoramic views over the Quay and River Exe towards Exmouth to the south and the Haldon Hills to the west. Being south-facing on rising ground, the site enjoys good daylighting from sunrise to sunset. Sheltered behind the Customs House and City Wall the terraces and courtyard gardens will feel almost Mediterranean!
Two semi-detached new-build houses are situated on the lower level of the site which was originally part of the City’s barbican. After the Civil War, the City Fathers split the barbican into leasehold plots. This site was Barbican Plot 19 and, over the following two centuries, was inhabited by a clay pipe maker, an arris maker (carver) and a fishmonger amongst others. Those buildings were demolished in the late 1800’s.
Two semi-detached conversions are situated on the higher level which was originally the site of the Tabernacle Chapel built in 1769 by the Reverend Henry Tanner to serve Exeter’s West Quarter. In the 1890’s the kite-shaped Chapel fell into disrepair and was demolished. In 1902 the Chapel was built in its present form.
About the properties
Each house is individually designed to make the most of its position with regard to orientation and historic features. Together they form a small community of four unique characterful homes. They are finished to a high standard throughout and examples of materials are available to view. Each property provides good storage and adaptable accommodation. Should buyers wish to change room layouts or finishes, this can be achieved if instructed early in the build programme. In addition to on-street parking, residents can purchase season tickets from the City Council for the nearby Cathedral and Quay car park.
Exeter is a modern, culturally vibrant and economically strong Cathedral City with excellent University, colleges and schools. It is a great place to live and work, and interesting to visit. Exeter is Devon’s capital and ‘gateway’ to the West Country with good transport links to London, the Midlands and the North.
Property specification notes
• Well insulated floors, walls and roofs, a thermal enclosure that is vapour permeable to reduce humidity and enhance comfort
• Internally exposed thermal mass of the structure to moderate high summer temperatures and enhance comfort
• Hi-performance triple glazing with triple seals between casement and frame, aluminium (outer) and wood (inner) composite frames for low maintenance
• Whole house mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, NOx filters, acoustic attenuation, simple weather compensated controls and summer bypass allowing the house to ventilate throughout the year even with the windows closed
• High efficiency gas condensing combination boiler, weather compensation, programmable controls and underfloor heating with radiators on the 2nd floors only
• Virgin Media (cable) with data network installation
• Fire/smoke detection and alarm system
• Choice within range of internal and external light fittings
• Video entry system with a receiver in the main bedroom and the living room
• Kitchens from the Exeter Kitchen Store (a local manufacturer) ‘Remo’ range with Quartz worktops and Bosch white goods
• Sanitary ware: basins and wc’s (RAK Summit range), baths with wall mounted taps and overflow filler (Cleargreen Reuse), shower trays (Simpsons stone resin trays), shower panels (Simpsons/Crosswater), brassware (Crosswater)
Open Plan Lounge/Kitchen/Dining Room
Dining Room/Library/Bedroom 3
First Floor Landing
Second Floor Landing
All Images are CGI impressions of what the build will look like.
- Stunning Roof Terrace
- Stunning Views
- Feature room with vaulted ceilings
- Mediterranean garden
- New renovation
- High-End interior furnishings
- Located next to the Roman Wall
- Historic location