01392 243077
Francis Louis House, Belmont Road, Exeter, Devon, EX1 2HF
estate agents
01392 243077
Francis Louis House, Belmont Road, Exeter, Devon, EX1 2HF
Service Comparison
Tenant Find
Tenant Find Plus
Full Management
Fee Payable
6% plus VAT of annual rent
7.5% plus VAT of annual rent
8.5% plus VAT of annual rent in addition to the tenant find fee
Agree the rent value
Provide Guidance of compliance with Statutory provisions and letterings consents
Advise on any refurbishment requirements
Erect board
Hugh quality enhanced photos
Virtual Tour
Advertised on portals such as Rightmove, Zoopla, On The Market and many more
Posted on our social media platforms
Accompanied Viewings
Find Quality Tentants
Pre-tenancy documentation, including right to rent checks
Obtain fully signed contract
Collect their secuirty deposit
Carry out necessary employers/landlords/guarantors references
Advise on non-residential tax status
Access to online portal until 14 days post renants moving in
Collect rent and remit payments
Landlord Portal for duration of tenancy
Tenants access to portal for duration of tenancy
Online maintenance job managements system for duration of tenancy
Dedicated property manager and access to specaiist advice
Advice on non-payment and rent arrears
Pursue non payment of rent
24 hour support for both landlord and tenants
Management of routine repairs and maintenance
Access to fully qualified and vetted contractor panel
Payment of Property related invoices on your behalf
Property refurbishment advice
Manage annual and periodic safety inspections
Mid term property visit
Negotiation regarding the tenants deposit
Liaison and processing of deposit dispute resolutions
Hold keys through tenancy

Additional Fees

Tenancy Extension / Renewal Service fee - (including negotiating the terms of renewal and signed a new12 months AST) £250 plus VAT
Change of sharer fee £125 plus VAT
Attending Legal Proceedings - (Per Hour plus travel) £200 plus VAT
Deposit Transfer/Mid Term Transfer £100 plus VAT
HMO Licence Application - (excludes cost of licence and any risk assessment or other documentation required to grant the licence) £250 plus VAT
Inventory Preparation Subject to Quotation
Inventory Check - In Subject to Quotation
Inventory Check - Out Subject to Quotation
Energy Performance Certificate fee Subject to Quotation
Gas Safety Record fee Subject to Quotation
Portable Appliance Test fee Subject to Quotation
Electrical Condition Inspection Report fee Subject to Quotation
Legionella Risk Assessment fee Subject to Quotation
Service of Notices £75 plus VAT
Dealing with deposit negotiations £149 plus VAT
Let By

Marketing The Property

A comprehensive marketing strategy is essential in helping to make sure a property reaches a pool of suitable tenants and is let, as quickly as possible, at a rent that is acceptable to you. You will benefit from an industry-leading marketing package, which usually includes having your property featured on three major on line sites, a list of potential tenants, top-quality photographs, video tours, social media, a 'To Let' board, and local advertising in selected locations.


Before the tenant moves in, you must meet the requirements outlined in 'Your legal obligations' on page 6. Once we have found a tenant for your property, we will negotiate the terms of the tenancy and, subject to the use of our tenancy documentation, confirm the terms of the tenancy in writing, usually inviting you to sign the tenancy agreement electronically. We also handle arrangements in case of damage or rent arrears, whether this is by way of a cash deposit or a deposit-replacement product.


Finding a tenant who will look after the property and pay rent on time are important requirements for most landlords. We, at your written request and expense, can arrange for the tenant/guarantor to be referenced using a referencing agency in order to help build a picture of their financial circumstances and ability to meet regular rental payments. Where so instructed, you will usually receive a report on this before you sign the tenancy agreement. Tenants/guarantors satisfying the criteria deemed necessary to be acceptable by the referencing agency is not a guarantee that they will meet their obligations. The report is provided without liability on our part or that of the referencing agency. As set out in 'Your legal obligations', you must make sure your tenant has the legal right to rent in England. We can help you by getting copies of passports and visa documents and carrying out checks.


The key to a successful tenancy is making sure that both you and your tenant are clear on what has been agreed and on what your responsibilities are. Our staff are trained to negotiate the terms and conditions of a tenancy. They help make sure that negotiations are confirmed and understood by both parties prior to proceeding to sign the tenancy agreement. Our tenancy agreement is available as an additional service.


Once you and the tenant have agreed the terms of the tenancy, depending on your instructions we will draw up a tenancy agreement. See 'Our fees' section for additional fees which apply. If necessary, the tenancy agreement will include clauses relevant to a particular tenancy, for example, providing extra furniture as a condition of the tenancy. It is important that you are protected against anything the tenant does that breaks the terms of the tenancy. To help with this, we can hold and protect a deposit from the tenant under a deposit-protection scheme or by providing a deposit replacement product.


A tenancy which gets off to a good start is far more likely to run safely and smoothly. We will collect initial monies, which may include rent and a deposit, give the tenant a 'How to Rent Guide', test smoke detectors and carbon-monoxide alarms and, for an additional fee, check the inventory and complete the tenancy agreement. A good-quality inventory, together with written records of the property's condition at the start and end of the tenancy, is key to you being able to make a claim against the tenant for any damage caused during the tenancy. You must not rely on these checks to identify any structural faults, and they do not include lofts, cellars or locked rooms.


You can use our online portal to keep up to date on information about your property and the tenant.


Under current UK tax legislation you have an obligation to declare all rental income received on any property in the UK to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). For all landlords (where we process rent), we will provide you with an "Annual statement of income and expenditure" to help you with your tax situation.

Resident Landlords - Under the Finance Act 2011, we have a legal obligation to make an "Annual HMRC tax declaration" (See "Our Fees") to HMRC of all rent collected per tax year on behalf of landlords.

Non-resident Landlords - We have an obligation under the Taxation of Income from Land (Non Residents) Regulations 1995 (Finance Act 1995) to deduct basic rate tax from any rent received and pay this quarterly to HMRC "Quarterly tax submission to HMRC for non-UK residents with no HMRC approval" (See "Our Fees") unless you provide us with an HMRC approval for payment without deduction declaration, when we make an "Annual tax declaration" to HMRC

The EDP Trust Awutu Winton School

This a fee free senior secondary school for disadvantaged students 50 kilometers west of Accra in Ghana. This unique school is called Awutu-Winton Senior High School. The trust and schools mission is

We believe that education is the only route out of poverty and despair, and is the gift that no child in our wold should be denied

Francis Louis is proud to donate annually a percentage of its turnover to the school and directly pay for some of the children to attend the school. In addition to our financial support, our Director Adam Friend along with his son run sporting camps yearly as well as visiting local orphanages. Donations from the wider community in Devon make a significant difference.

If you wsih to learn more then please visit EDP Trust Educational Development Projects (edp-trust.org)



We understand the importance of your rental investment and in particular the need to make plans around regular rental income and having vacant possession at the end of the tenancy. Towards the end of the initial fixed term, we will contact you to ask your plans. If you are happy for the tenancy to continue either on a fixed term or periodic basis and the tenant agrees, we will negotiate the terms of the renewal and make sure that everything is confirmed in writing. If you want to take back possession of the property, we can arrange to serve the necessary notices.


When the property returns to the market at the end of the tenancy, we can advise on rental value and any improvements that are needed to get the best


(Please note, all the above services are included in our Full Management Service.) Our Full Management Service is a comprehensive letting and management service for landlords requiring help with administration and guidance on meeting the day-to-day legal, safety and maintenance requirements associated with letting a property. You will enjoy peace of mind, knowing that your property has been safely let and managed from the moment it reaches the market until any claim against the tenant for damage at the end of the tenancy is dealt with.


Our Full Management Service can help if you haven't got the time and resources to deal with routine requests from your tenant. This service also gives you considerable peace of mind, as you know someone is on hand to help make sure the tenancy runs safely and smoothly and the tenancy agreement is kept to. Tenants are increasingly asking for their homes to be professionally managed, as they want assurance that repairs and maintenance will be dealt with quickly and efficiently. Tenants can report maintenance issues around the clock, all year round, using a convenient on line portal. Repairs are undertaken on your behalf, using qualified and checked contractors. Our Full Management Service also includes negotiations at the end of the tenancy to do with any claim you have against the tenant for damages caused whilst living at the property. For added peace of mind, our Full Management Service includes one visit to the property each year and at the Landlord's request we are able to undertake additional property visits .After each visit we will give you a written report. Property visits comprise a visual inspection of the main living/ sleeping accommodation and do not include cellars, lofts and outbuildings.


This section sets out some of the legal obligations you have as a landlord. These are only some of the key legal obligations that you must comply with, and they will change from time to time as the law changes. This list is not intended to be a full list. If you have any questions or concerns, you should get independent advice or visit www gov uk/renting-out-a-property.


As from l April 2018, any rented property is normally required to have a minimum Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E. There is a PRS Exemptions Register for properties which cannot be improved to meet this minimum standard. You must make sure your tenant has a copy of the EPC before the start of their tenancy. The EPC rating must also be included in advertising and marketing material. If you have an EPC exemption please state so on Page ll and supply the relevant supporting documentation.


Before a tenancy begins, landlords in England have a legal obligation to make sure that their tenant and any permitted occupants living at the property have the right to remain in the UK prior to the commencement of the tenancy. If they have this right but for a limited time, follow-up checks are required. It is unlawful discrimination to restrict the length of a tenancy or refuse to grant a tenancy based on the right-to-rent checks, except where some or all of the tenants or Occupants have failed the checks. For more information, visit wwwgovuk/government/collections/landlordsimmigrati on-right-to-rent-checks. . The rules do not currently apply in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.


If a tenant pays a cash deposit it must be protected using one of three government-approved schemes, within 30 days of receiving it. The deposit can be protected through either passing it to one of these schemes for safe keeping, or by an insurance policy, where an approved agent keeps the deposit in their client bank account.


Based on the type of property, its location and occupancy and the policy applied by the Local Authority in which the property is located, a licence may be required. It is important that you are familiar with the requirements in your area and how these might apply to a proposed tenancy.

Those who manage the property themselves must also get a licence in order to let the property legally.

For tenant find and tenant find plus, as we do not manage the property, you as licence holder must provide out of hours emergency cover and contact details to the Tenant directly, as required under the licence conditions.


You must ensure that you have the correct planning permission for the proposed use of the property. You should bear in mind that where an "Article 4 Direction" is in place, this may restrict the right to change between use as a dwelling for a single household or as a house of multiple occupation without specific permission. A change of use as a larger HMO will ordinarily need permission. You should instruct a planning consultant if you need further advice or to make a planning application.


You must make sure a yearly gas safety check is carried out on all gas appliances (including flues) that you provide. Checks must be performed by a Gas Safe Registered engineer, and a copy of the certificate must be given to the tenant, prior to the start of the tenancy. For all non-Full Management Service properties, you alone as landlord are entirely responsible for compliance with the Gas Safety Regulations and we as agent exclude all liability and responsibility for the same.


You must install at least one smoke detector on each floor of the property that is classed as living accommodation (including bedrooms and bathrooms). You must fit a carbon-monoxide alarm in any room which is used as living accommodation and which contains a solid-fuel-burning appliance. The alarms must be installed and working at the start of the tenancy agreement. You must use the 'test button' on each alarm on the day the tenancy starts to check that they have power. All alarms, including those wired into the mains supply, have a limited lifespan of between five and ten years. A replacement date is usually printed on the alarm, but you can't always see it unless you remove the alarm. If you are not sure how old an alarm is, ask an electrician to tell you when it will need replacing, or ask them to replace it.

Smoke Alarm

Electrical Safety

As from 1st July 2020, for any new or renewed tenancy in England all fixed electrical installations must be tested at least every 5 years by a qualified person with any Category l or 2 hazards and Fl notifications attended to within a prescribed time frame. You must make sure your tenant has a copy of the inspection report before the start of the tenancy. We recommend that you arrange a portable appliance test (PAT) every year. For all non-Full Management Service properties, you alone as landlord are entirely responsible for compliance with the Electrical Safety Regulations and we as agent exclude all liability and responsibility for the same


You must make sure that all upholstered furniture you provide meets fire-resistance standards. Labels attached to all new upholstered furniture show these standards. Separate European Standards for Safety deal with internal window blinds and shutters, and the danger posed by cords and chains to babies and young children.


You must make sure that risk from exposure to legionella in water systems is properly controlled. Properties that remain empty, particularly during the warmer months, and those with open cold-water tanks and swimming pools or hot tubs, are particularly at risk. You are required to carry out a risk assessment before the start of the tenancy. This assessment should be reviewed periodically.


The Heat Network (Metering and Billing) (Amendment) Regulations 2020 apply to landlords of shared accommodation who charge for the supply of heating, air conditioning or hot water. The regulations apply to: a) District heat networks involving the distribution of heat, hot water or chilled liquids from a central source to multiple buildings or sites; and b) Communal heating systems, involving the supply of heat, hot water or chilled liquids from a central source in a single building to more than one 'final customer'. A user is considered a final customer where they occupy a partitioned private space intended to be used as a domestic dwelling. If your property meets these criteria you must provide information to the National Measurement Office including the number and type of buildings supplied by the heating system, and the number of final customers. You must also make sure that meters are installed in the property to measure the consumption of heat, cooling or hot water by each final customer. The regulations do not apply to houses in multiple occupation ("HMO")


You must keep a record of and provide or, obtain from the building manager, accurate and up to date safety risk information about the Property (and building the Property is situated within if necessary) which both us and the tenant will have access to. You shall also ensure that timely and effective action is taken where building safety concerns are raised.


Before you enter into a tenancy agreement, you must get any necessary permission, including from joint owners or mortgage lenders. If a property is leasehold, this includes any permission required from the immediate landlord and, if necessary, any superior landlord or freehold owner. You should also make sure you have appropriate buildings (and contents - if required) insurance. A normal residential buildings insurance policy does not generally cover rental properties, so you will need cover that is specifically designed for landlords. If you do not have appropriate cover, you may be responsible for repair or rebuilding costs if your property is damaged or destroyed.


You must update us straight away with all information which is material about yourself and the Property, including material information relating to the provision of our services and your tenants quiet enjoyment - including your adherence to any of the Legal Obligations noted above. You are responsible for the accuracy and completeness of all the information you provide to us.

01392 243077
Francis Louis House, Belmont Road, Exeter, Devon, EX1 2HF